IS DANDRUFF CONTAGIOUS?
Let’s start off with a straightforward answer – No, you can’t "catch" dandruff, nor can you pass it on to anybody. That should take care of your immediate concern, but it is equally important to understand what dandruff is and whether it’s hereditary.
What is dandruff?
Before trying to answer the question is dandruff contagious or hereditary, let’s figure out what causes dandruff. Dandruff is a skin condition in which a fungus, known as Malassezia Globosa, breaks down any excess scalp sebum into oleic acid. Half of the people in the world react to this oleic acid and it results in severe itching, red patches on your scalp, and dead skin cells in the form of oily yellow-white flakes.
Dandruff is not limited just to your scalp, and there are cases of people developing face and back dandruff as well. It can be aggravated by weather changes, hormonal fluctuations, stress or even inadequate shampooing. All these factors can lead to an increase in oil production on your scalp, which allows the fungus to grow.
Is dandruff communicable?
So you’re wondering, can dandruff be contagious, try figuring out a way to transfer oil from one scalp to another. Is that even a possibility? In fact, everybody already has the factors that cause dandruff on their scalp – a microbe called Malassezia Globosa and natural oils known as sebum.
What makes someone suffer from dandruff is sensitivity to these factors. This is something that can’t be passed from one person to another, so there’s no chance of catching dandruff from a sufferer or passing it on to someone else.
Is dandruff hereditary?
You can’t inherit the dandruff ailment, but what you can inherit is the skin sensitivity to oleic acid. As discussed, dandruff is just your body reacting to this oleic acid. If you didn’t have this sensitivity, your scalp could keep producing excess oil and there would still be no dandruff. So this skin vulnerability is something that you can possibly inherit.
Some studies have also shown that the reason for excess sebum production can be inherited down generations, such as hormonal levels. The way your body reacts can be determined based on your genetics as well. But this has various factors in play, and you can’t point the finger at just inherited conditions.
So what can I do?
Now that you have clarity on the question ‘is dandruff contagious’, you can find solutions to help you get over this problem. Dandruff home remedies exist and are widely used, but it is important that you check the quantities before. If not approached carefully, this can actually worsen your condition.
- Lemon brings the benefits of Vitamin C and essential acids to help balance the pH levels of your scalp. They work wonders in eliminating any excess greasiness or build-up. Apply diluted quantities to your hair and wash thoroughly after.
- Neem is said to be one of nature’s best defences against dandruff. You can create a hair mask out of neem and fenugreek seeds, which brings its anti-fungal properties to your dandruff problem.
- Applying Aloe Vera to your scalp can instantly calm the itching sensation that is associated with dandruff. It works to get rid of excess oil and dirt that can worsen your skin condition.
- Argan oil is an essential oil that is rich in Vitamin E and contains anti-inflammatory properties. Massaging a few drops into your scalp and hair creates a heat shield while reducing any itchiness. - A healthy diet can help you regulate the condition of your scalp and hair. It can help build your immunity, which gives your scalp a better chance in fighting any infections.
- Create a hair care regimen which uses quality anti dandruff shampoos and conditioners to get rid of your dandruff. Washing your hair regularly can prevent oil build-up, which is the root cause of your ailment.
Various solutions exist, it all depends on how much time you have to experiment with nature’s products. If you want proven answers, try the Head and Shoulder Neem or the Head and Shoulders Lemon Fresh that can prevent dandruff condition from making a comeback. You can also employ the Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 Active Protect, which combines a shampoo and conditioner for your dandruff needs. By now you’ve understood that dandruff isn’t contagious, so you can rest easy on that point. All you need is to find a quick dandruff solution and get on with your day.