What are some healthy hair tips for men in the winter season?
Men often believe that they don’t need to take real care of their hair and scalp. It’s only when things start going wrong, that the worry increases, and frantic questions are asked to women on how to take care of hair in winter.
And although you can use the same methods that women do, it’s important to understand that men hair care is slightly different and requires its own approach.
What are some common issues faced in the winter?
Any seasonal change brings its own set of challenges and troubles, which is especially relevant for your hair. When trying to figure out how to take care of hair men need to look at the usual suspects first:
1. Dry scalp-This is the most common ailment that befalls men during the winters. Your scalp can dry out and become vulnerable to the external elements.
2. Split ends and frizzing-A dry scalp also leads to dry hair, when your strands cannot get the necessary oil or sebum to protect it. This leads to split ends and slight frizzing, which usually happens to longer hair.
3. Flaking-When your scalp dries out, it leads to cracked skin that can start to flake. These are dead skin cells which are falling away and are also associated with irritants that your scalp is trying to get rid of.
4. Dandruff-Although it affects only half of the world, dandruff might affect you in the winter. Dryness can trigger excessive oil secretion on the scalp, which is ideal ground for dandruff.
5. Static hair-The cold weather can create an electrical charge in your hair, giving it that annoying static nature. This often occurs while wearing knitted caps or beanies.
6. Hair breakage-Because your hair is dry, it has a tendency of becoming weak and brittle. This makes it prone to damage and breakage.
How to take care of hair in winter?
Healthy hair for men is easily achievable, even in the winter season. You just need to make a few adjustments in your routine and you’ll be able to avoid most problems.
1. Oil-It might not be fashionable to oil your hair, but it could solve a lot of your problems in the winter months. Your hair and scalp are crying out for some hydration and oils can restore that protective layer. This can boost blood circulation to the scalp and close the cuticle layer of your hair strand. Use oils such as coconut, jojoba, argan or almond.
2. Wash adequately-It’s important to wash your hair regularly with the right kind of shampoos. Using shampoo men hair 2-3 times a week is the general rule of thumb, because excessive washing can remove the natural oils from your hair. Use shampoos that can help protect your hair. Try shampoos like the Head and Shoulders Anti-hairfall , which rescues hair from damage, dullness and hairfall.
3. Hot showers-Nobody is telling you to have a cold shower, but you should avoid high water temperatures. This can dry out your hair and scalp, sometimes even leaving it damaged. When thinking about how to take care of hair men should use lukewarm water during the winter months.
4. Drying your hair-You might be tempted to step out of the shower, quickly dry your hair, and then move on with your day. But you might end up being rough with your hair, where the friction between the towel and your hair strands can cause damage. Wet hair is fragile and can be harmed easily, leading to split ends. Be gentle with the towel and allow your hair to air dry slightly.
5. Gels and wax-Avoid these during the winter season. Some of these products contain chemicals that can dry out your hair and open up your scalp to external irritants. These can also lead to brittle hair and breakage.
6. Wet hair and combs-Never leave your house with wet hair and make sure you don’t comb it wet either. As your hair is vulnerable when wet, putting undue strain on it leads to a loss of strength. This can worsen breakage and even lead to hair fall.
7. Conditioners-Healthy hair for men requires conditioning. This can reduce static, infuse moisture, and bring back shine to the hair. Never ignore this step after your shampoo. You also have products which combine shampoos and conditioners like the Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 Smooth and Silky . These kinds of products are great when you’re in a rush, needing a quick solution for hydration and cleansing.
8. Caps and hats-Be careful with what you put on your head. Covering your hair is great during the winter as it can protect from the sun while preventing excessive moisture loss. But these can also create static and pull on your hair strands. Choose the right material and ensure that it isn’t too tight.
9. Trims-It’s necessary to trim your hair regularly, not just for the style quotient, but as a method on how care hair in winter is done. These can get rid of any split ends and reduce moisture loss.
10. Diet-You’ve probably heard this before, but diet can have a big impact on your hair in the winter. Increase water consumption, while curbing your sugar, junk and caffeine. You need to have a diet that gives you minerals, proteins, fatty acids, zinc, iron and vitamins.
Make a few changes in your hair care and you can potentially avoid the pitfalls of the winter season, allowing you to enjoy the cold weather instead of worrying about it.